Monday 5 November 2007

Scots star Tunji is Nearly Famous

FAME costs...and new Scots star Tunji Kasim is paying for it by putting on an English accent for his first major role.

The young actor has bagged one of the lead parts in super cool E4 show Nearly Famous, about a group of young wannabe stars at performing arts school in London.

It is the kids from Fame for the 21st Century and Tunji, 21, who grew up in Nigeria before moving to Aberdeen when he was 12, can't believe his luck as he only graduated from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama in Glasgow just days before he started filming.

He said: "To say I was lucky is an understatement. Someone's definitely on my side. It's my first job in front of cameras. It was tough because I had to do an English accent, which I was a bit scared about doing properly. But I think I pulled it off."

Nearly Famous - produced by the same company behind BBC smash Life On Mars - stars Tunji and fellow newcomers Aaron Johnson, Anna Brewster and Talulah Riley, with former EastEnder Jimi Mistry and Coupling's Gina Bellman.

Tunji is reluctantly moving south, leaving behind mum Mae, dad Shola, and sisters Alexa, 25, and Aisha, 23.

He added: "My plan is to stay in London for a few years and work up a name for myself before moving back to Scotland."

Nearly Famous is on E4 on Thursday at 11pm.

SOURCE


No comments: